Departments of DIET
To act as an umbrella platform for academic discourse and action in the Elementary Education, likewise the other DIETS, the DIET Kamrup comprises of seven branches. All these branches gives raise an integrated approach to the following constructive procedures.
- Organisation of Pre-service and In-Service Teacher Education for the School Teachers.
- Promotion of child centred education, preparation of Aids and Action Research. Multi-Grade/Peer group teaching.
- Providing Guidance Service in Schools. Supportive supervision in the Schools for Academic support process. Coordination with the line Departments to strengthen educational skills.
- To cover up scholastic and co-scholastic areas for holistic development of the Teachers and in turn to the students of the schools.
- Strengthening Community Process with the enhancement of Adult Education and sensitization in different domain.
- To enhance educational communication skills as well as utilisation of Educational Technology and 360 degree approach through ICT friendly educational transaction
- Pre Service teacher Education (PSTE)
- Work experience (W.E)
- Educational technology (ET)
- District Resource Unit (DRU)
- Planning and Management (P&M)
- In Service Programmes, Field Interaction and Innovation Co-ordination ( IFIC )
- Curriculum & Material Development and Evaluation (CMDE)
1. Pre-service Teacher Education (PSTE) Branch:
Functions of PSTE Branch:
- Providing academic support Service in Schools.
- Organisation of Pre-service Teacher Education for Elementary Teachers.
- Support with adequate coordination and inputs to other branches of DIET.
- Promotion of child centred education, preparation of Aids and Action Research.
- Education of especially able or divyang children.
- Multi-grade/peer group teaching.
- Learning and Remedial instruction for first generation learner.
- Maintenance of Resource room and Laboratories.
- Supporting curricular activities in areas specified in school curriculum.
2. Work Experience (W.E) Branch:
The W.E Branch of DIET usually traces the locally relevant areas related to work experience. It helps the educational counterparts and authorities to plan and implement work experience in the district effectively in all the schools and AE/NFE centres. The curricular materials, low-cost teaching aids and evaluation by tools/ techniques etc are developed by this unit.
Functions of W.E. Branch:
- Provide WE input in all programmes of DIETS.
- Identification of work experience (WE) areas and development of teaching - learning material.
- Help School authorities to introduce Work Experience (WE).
- Conduct in-service programmer to help staff in WE.
- Maintenance of DIETS.
- Organisation of community service activities.
- Maintain workshop and enhance work related interest areas.
3. District Resource Unit (DRU) Branch:
DRU is the resource point to gather academic information of the district. DRU works in the thrust area to identify the training scope and development support. Most exclusively, this branch assists educational authorities in planning and co-ordination of training programmes for Adult and Non-formal Education personnel throughout the district and to provide necessary support in organising such programmes. The instructional and training materials relating to adult and non-formal education are to be developed by this branch. DRU helps in the academic data management, educational communication and entirely works as a pool to coordinate other branch activities. The necessary evaluation technique and tools are also prepared to rationalise the effectiveness of the programme. DRU is also involved in the activities of Media Productions, Public Relation of the DIET.
Functions of DRU:
- DRU works in the thrust area to identify the training scope and development support.
- To assist educational authorities in planning and co-ordination of training programmes for adult and non formal educational areas.
- DRU helps in the academic data management, educational communication and entirely works as a pool to coordinate other branch activities.
- To serve as the nodal branch for organising Programmes of induction training and continuing education for instructors and faculties who are assigned the task of community support communications ( Development Communications),awareness as well as formal and non formal educations in the area of the adult education.
- To evaluate and monitor the quality and efficacy of training programmes for adult education, non formal education, community outreach programmes for held in and outside the DIET and to strive for their continuous improvement.
- To maintain a data base on all academic activities of the district and to organise follow up activities pursuant to different trainings and outcome.
- To undertake field interaction (including extension) work in the district and to act as the referral unit for academic problems thrown up by the field.
- Extended support in media production for academic discourse and works as coordination point to maintain Public Relation among in and outhouse public of the DIET. The faculties of DIET Kamrup are extending its work area to expand utility of Traditional media, AV production, Cultural Communication in line with Educational Communication.
4. In-service programmes, Field Interaction and Innovation Co-ordination (IFIC) Branch:
Regular orientation and continuous In-Service education of teachers is necessary to keep them up to date of the changes taking place in their professional parabola and to develop their skills and attitudes in the light of their changing role. The IFIC faculties keep the track of latest development in the educational transactions and follow it up with newer and newer amenities and orientation programmes. This branch has also the task to interact in the field to identify problems and prescribe solutions. This field interaction part carries forward the Information about worthwhile experiences, innovations and success stories etc. Action research and experimentation needs to be conducted to give raise a constructive solution of the identified problems.
Functions of IFIC Branch:
- Acts as the nodal Branch for organising In-service programme for all categories of staff in Elementary Education.
- Identify teachers for Training. Prepare Annual Academic Calendar of Training in and outside DIET.
- Planning and co-ordination of In-Service Education.
- Resource Programme using distance. Distance-cum-teaching mode.
- Evaluate/ monitor the quality and efficiency of work programme in and outside the DIET.
- Serve as nodal branch for all action research.
- Facilitate dissemination of information and co-ordination of activities.
5. Curriculum Material Development and Evaluation (CMDE) Branch:
As per the demand and situational analysis, the curriculum area prepared and this department works on the principle of locality issue and circumstances. This department supported as a district counterpart to the SCERT in compiling and preparation of the curriculum material. Basically it works as a resource pool with the SCERT. The curriculum developed at the district level should include. topics like local geography, folklore, legends, customs, forests, flora and fauna, fairs and festivals, demography, geology, minerals, agriculture, industry, communities and tribes etc. This branch may also conduct development of techniques and tools like test, question banks, rating scales, observation schedules, diagnostic testing to be used for continuous and summative learner & evaluation.
Functions of CMDE Branch:
- Development of curriculum for elementary education and elementary teacher education.
- Develop tests for evaluation, diagnostic and remedial teaching and guidelines for teachers.
- Assist DRU for the same exercise given in no.2 for NFE/AE.
- Assessment to be undertaken in samples for minimum learning competencies.
- Publish periodicals; journals for the use of elementary school teachers and other staff.
6. Educational Technology (ET) Branch:
Educational technology faculty plays a vital role in effective teaching and learning. This department will prepare low cost teaching aids like charts, diagrams, models, photographs, slides, audio tapes etc. for elementary and non-formal education and provide training to teachers and prospective teachers in the use technology in teaching.
Functions of ET Branch:
- Development of simple low cost teaching aids for various subjects relating to elementary education and elementary teacher education. Maintenance of the Audio-visual Equipment including a library of such materials and films with lending and borrowing facilities.
- Liaison with TV/ AIR for broadcast on relevant topics in the areas of Elementary Teacher Education.
- Appropriate tests of evaluation of such TV/AIR programme.
- Organising workshops for material development as per curriculum.
- Provide inputs to other pre-service and in-service programmes.
7. Planning and Management (P&M) Branch:
Planning and management faculty plays an important role in the functioning of DIET. This Department prepares database for better planning and implementation of different educational schemes. In this regard some studies on enrolment, retention, regularity of attendance, appropriate practice of Academic Calendar are considered for framing policies. It also provides technical assistance in the areas of school mapping, micro planning for specific areas, school complexes and instructional areas etc. Besides this, it acts as nodal branch to select all programmes of community involvement in basic education.
Functions of P & M Branch:
- Prepare database for educational planning within the district and monitor facilities in the school level.
- Conduct policy oriented research in the areas of enrolment, retention, attendance, interventions community perception and participation, development of norms on Elementary School Children and the school framework under Samagra Siksha.
- Provide Assistance to educational authorities in school mapping, micro planning, institutional planning and evaluation.